- You must present a current Minnesota driver’s license, state issued ID or Passport (or a legible photo copy).
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must present a current certificate of completion of the Permit to Carry Class. (these certificates are valid for one year from the date it was issued).
- Applications must be filled out completely, incomplete or inaccurate applications may result in getting denied.
Do not sign your application until you are at the Sheriff’s office.
- Application approval may take up to 30 days and is dependent on a detailed background check. If your application is approved your card will be mailed directly to your home address. If you are denied, you will receive a letter stating why.
- A Minnesota Permit to Carry is valid for 5 years.
Minnesota Permit to Carry Applications are available to download online and at your local county Sheriff’s office.
Where to Apply - You must apply in person, in the county of your residence. Mailed applications are NOT accepted.
LOCAL COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE LOCATIONS:
606 E 4th St, Chaska, MN 55318 (map)
Hennepin County (Downtown)
350 S 5th St, Minneapolis, MN 55415 (map)
Hennepin County (Brooklyn Park)
9401 83rd Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445 (map)
801 10th St E, Glencoe, MN 55336 (map)
301 Fuller St S, Shakopee, MN 55379 (map)
3800 Braddock Ave NE, Buffalo, MN 55313 (map)